The vegetarian recipe for ‘Vegetarian Taro Puffs’:
servings – 20 taro puffs
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms (soak in hot water till soft and dice)
- ½ cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced yam bean
- 1 cup vegetarian barbecued meat (dice)
- ½ cup green peas
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- ½ tbsp wheat flour
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 600 g taro (peel, cut into chunks, steam till soft and mash)
- 1 ½ cup wheat starch
- ½ tsp five-spice powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Heat oil, stir-fry shiitake mushrooms till fragrant.
- Add vegetarian barbecued meat, vegetarian oyster sauce and dark soy sauce; stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add carrot, yam bean, green peas and water; briefly stir fry, cover the pan and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Mix tapioca starch, wheat flour and sugar with some water; gently pour the mixture into the pan and stir evenly.
- Add sesame oil and white pepper powder and stir evenly.
- Dish out, place in a large bowl and cool.
- Combine all the ingredients and knead to form a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal portions.
- Roll out each small dough into a round, place 1 tbsp full of filling in the center of the pastry and pinch the opposite two sides together to form a dumpling; repeat.
- Heat oil and fry the taro dumplings over high heat till golden brown.
- Dish out, drain and serve.