The vegan recipe for Vegan Otak-Otak:
servings – 10 packs
- 500 g vegan fish (cut into chunks)
- 100 g fresh oyster mushrooms (cut into chunks)
- 2 cups soaked kombu/kelp (puree with ½ cup water)
- 5 bird’s eye chillies (dice)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (dice)
- 5 slices galangal (chop)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (chop)
- 2 stalks torch ginger buds (chop)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 10 large fresh turmeric leaves (blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes)
- Place all the ingredients and seasonings into the blender; pulse until well-mixed.
- Take a piece of turmeric leaf, place 3 tbsp of the above mixture in the center, spread evenly, fold up both ends of the leaf to meet in the center and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat a flat pan at low heat.
- Place 2 bundles of the vegan otak-otak in the pan, pan-grill with the lid on for 2 minutes, sprinkle 1 tbsp water beside the vegan otak-otak, cook for another minute; flip over the bundles and repeat the same process.
- Remove and serve.