Homemade/DIY Vegan Fish:
servings – 2 loaves of 400 g vegan fish
- 1 cup golden flax seeds (soak in water overnight and drain)
- 1 cup soaked kombu/kelp (*soak kombu in water for 1/2 hour and drain)
- 2 cups soy beans (soak in water for 4 hours and drain)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup carrot cubes
- 2 sheets dried seaweed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- Place soy beans, golden fax seeds, kombu and carrot in a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth and pour the mixture into a big bowl.
- Add all the seasonings and combine.
- Add oat meal and combine.
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes, stir evenly and set aside.
- Cut 4 sheets of aluminium foil to the same size as the seaweed sheet and grease the surface of the foil sheets.
- Lay 1 seaweed sheet on 1 foil sheet and position them on a Sushi rolling mat.
- Scoop out 1/2 of the Soy Mixture, spread it onto the seaweed sheet and cover with a foil sheet.
- Cut 4 pieces of cardboard to the same size as the seaweed sheet and bend them in halves to form V shapes.
- Place 1 V-shaped cardboard in between 2 heavy objects (with the V-shaped opening facing up).
- Lay the Sushi rolling mat (together with the covered soy mixture) into the valley of the V-shaped cardboard.
- Place the other V-shape cardboard on top.
- Drop a rolling pin in and gently press (press down) until a fish trunk shape is made.
- Remove the cardboard pieces and rolling pin.
- Repeat steps 2 to 9 for the remaining soy mixture.
- Steam the Vegan Fish (together with the Sushi Rolling Mat) for 20 minutes.
- Remove the mat and let it cool.
- Remove the foil sheets before cooking the Vegan Fish.
- The Vegan Fish can be prepared by cutting it into slices and fry (or with other cooking methods).
- It can also be kept in the freezer for future cooking and serving.