The vegan recipe for Nori and Tofu Congee:
servings – 4
- 1 cup white rice (rinse, soak in 1/2 cup water + 1 tsp salt + 1 tbsp vegetable oil for 4 hours, rinse and set aside)
- 2 nori sheets (tear into small pieces)
- 1 block firm tofu (dice)
- 1 thumb-sized fresh ginger (gently crush)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 or 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- Place white rice, water and ginger in a pot; bring to a boil and cook over low heat until the rice turns mushy.
- Add nori and stir well.
- Add firm tofu, salt, nutritional yeast flakes and sesame oil; stir well and briefly simmer.
- Turn off the heat, ladle the congee into bowls and sprinkle white pepper powder over.