Wormwood is an aromatic herb which tastes a little bitter. Nevertheless, blending it into a snack makes a surprising herbal snack!
The vegan recipe for Steamed Wormwood Leaf Glutinous Rice Dumplings:
Glutinous Rice Dough
- 200 g fresh wormwood (pluck the leaves, wash and drain)
- 4 cups glutinous rice flour
- 2 cups water
- Place wormwood leaves and water to a pot; cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the leaves from the water, let cool, puree and cook until it boils.
- In a big mixing bowl, combine glutinous rice flour with the hot wormwood puree; mix evenly to form a soft sticky rice dough.
- ½ cup diced preserved turnip (wash, soak in water for 10 minutes and squeeze dry)
- 300 g long beans (wash and dice)
- 2 slices dried tofu (dice)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp white pepper powder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat vegetable oil, stir-fry diced preserved turnip and dried tofu until fragrant.
- Add long beans and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce and water; cover the pan and simmer for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle white pepper powder over, stir well, remove and let cool.
- Spread some vegetable oil on your palms, scoop out 2 tbsp glutinous rice dough, roll into a ball and then flatten into a palm-sized dough round.
- Place 2 tbsp filling in the center of the dough round, wrap up, gently form a ball, place it into a mold, gentle press and lay the molded dumpling in a greased steaming tray.
- Repeat steps 1 to 2 until all the filling is used up.
- Steam for 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve.