The name of ‘longevity noodles’ is derived from their long lengths. They are generally prepared as a heartwarming food during Chinese New Year, birthday or other special events to convey the wishes of good health and long life.
The vegan recipe for Longevity Noodle Mush:
servings – 4
- 100 g unsalted and thin longevity noodles
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (soak in water until soft and dice)
- 4 slices carrot (dice)
- 4 stalks coriander (cut into small sections)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- Pan-fry shiitake mushrooms and carrot until fragrant.
- Add water and longevity noodles; simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes or until mushy.
- Add salt, nutritional yeast flakes and white pepper powder; stir well and briefly simmer.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with coriander.