The vegan recipe for Clay Pot Taro Rice:
servings – 5
- 500 g taro (peel and dice)
- 2 cups white rice (wash and drain)
- 1 cup soya mince
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms (soak in water until soft and dice)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- Heat oil, fry soya mince until golden brown, remove and set aside.
- Fry taro over medium heat until it gets crispy on the outside, add five-spice powder, stir-fry for 10 seconds, remove and set aside.
- Fry shiitake mushrooms until fragrant, add soy sauce and stir-fry for 10 second.
- Add white rice, salt, fried soya mince (step 1) and fried taro (step 2); stir-fry for 1 minute, transfer to a clay pot and add water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, then reduce to low heat and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.