The vegetarian recipe for Crispy Gnocchi with Lemon Pepper Gravy:
servings – 5
- 750 g potatoes (boil till tender, peel and mash)
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 2 celery stalks (cut lengthwise into 1 cm thick sticks)
- 200 g vegetarian cheddar cheese (cut into sticks)
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 2 tbsp wheat starch
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup basil leaves (chop)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup ice water
- 3 cups bread crumbs
- While the mashed potato is still hot, combine immediately with wheat flour (2 cups) and knead to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough to form a 3 cm thick sheet and divide into 8 X 14 cm rectangle sheets.
- Lay 1 celery stick and 1 vegetarian cheddar cheese stick on the bottom of a dough rectangle, brush the edges of the dough rectangle with a little water, roll up and pinch both ends to form a log/gnocchi roll; repeat.
- Combine wheat flour (1 cup), rice flour, wheat starch, baking soda, basil leaves, vegetable oil, salt and ice water; stir to form a smooth batter.
- Dip the gnocchi rolls in the batter, coat with bread crumbs and fry over medium heat until golden brown.
- Remove, drain on paper towels and leave to cool.
Lemon Pepper Gravy
- 1 lemon (grate 1 tbsp lemon zest and squeeze the juice)
- 2 bell peppers (dice)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- Heat butter, then add water, nutritional yeast flakes, salt and sugar; bring to boil.
- Add bread crumbs and stir well.
- Mix corn starch with some water and pour it over the above sauce; stir well and briefly cook.
- Add lemon zest and juice plus bell peppers; stir well.
- Sprinkle ground black pepper over and turn off the heat.
- Cut the crispy gnocchi rolls into 2 cm sections and place them on serving plates.
- Ladle the lemon pepper gravy over and serve.