Homemade/DIY Vegan Traditional Korean Kimchi:
servings – 6
Salted Napa Cabbage
- 500 g napa cabbage
- ½ cup salt
- Wash cabbage, cut horizontally into 4 sections and spread salt onto each napa cabbage leaf.
- Restore the form of the napa cabbage and wrap it tightly in a plastic bag for 3 hours.
- Remove and rinse each leaf thoroughly under cold running water.
- Hang the napa cabbage upside-down until it’s drained.
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin flesh
- 1 cup soaked kombu
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (chop)
- 2 sheets nori
- 3 tbsp glutinous rice flour
- ½ cup roasted white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp sea salt
- Place the cooked pumpkin flesh, soaked kombu, nori, glutinous rice flour and sea salt in a blender; puree till smooth.
- Transfer the pumpkin puree to a saucepan and bring to a boil; remove, place it into a bowl and let cool.
- Add sesame oil, chili powder, basil leaves and roasted white sesame seeds; mix well.
- Evenly spread the mixture onto each leaf of the salted napa cabbage; restore the form of the napa cabbage, wrap it tightly in a plastic bag and marinate for 2 days at room temperature.
- Then refrigerate it for a week.
- Remove and slice.