With its sprouting form, arrowhead (慈菇 ci gu or 芽菇 ya gu) is known as an auspicious ingredient used in Chinese New Year cooking as it symbolizes growth and prosperousness.
Happy Lunar New Year to you and your family!
The vegan recipe for Simmered Arrowheads with Molasses:
servings – 5
- 16 arrowheads/慈菇 ci gu (clean, wash and cut into quarters)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp molasses or dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- Heat vegetable oil and fry arrowheads until golden.
- Add salt and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add sugar, water and dark soy sauce; stir well and simmer over low heat until fully absorbed.
- Remove and serve.