The vegetarian recipe for Vegan Kaya (Eggless Coconut Jam):
5 cups vegan kaya
- 1 cup pumpkin flesh (steam until soft)
- 1 cup soaked coral grass (*wash coral grass, soak in water overnight and drain)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar (crush)
- 4 pandan leaves (cut into thin strips, blend with 1 cup water and filter to extract the juice)
- Place pumpkin, coral grass and pandan juice in a blender; process until smooth and set aside.
- Dissolve coconut palm sugar over low heat.
- Add coconut milk and stir well until it boils.
- Add the pumpkin mixture, keep stirring and let boil for 5 minutes.
- Cool and serve with toasted bread, salted biscuits, etc.
- Or transfer the jam into a jar and refrigerate for future use.