The vegan recipe for Red Tortoise Cakes (Ang Ku Kueh):
servings – 8 red tortoise cakes
Mung Bean Filling
- 1 cup split and hulled mung beans (soak in water for 2 hours)
- 3 cups water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the mung beans plus water into a pot, simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and transfer the beans to the blender; puree until smooth.
- Pour the mung bean puree into a pan.
- Add sugar and salt; stir and cook until fully absorbed.
- Remove and let cool.
Red Rice Skin
- 1 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
- adequate drops of red liquid food color
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 pieces of banana leaf squares
- Combine glutinous rice flour, water and red liquid food color; knead into a smooth dough and divide into 8 portions.
- Spread some vegetable oil on your palms, take 1 dough portion, make a round, place 1 tbsp mung bean filling in the center, wrap up, seal the edges, place it into a red tortoise cake mold, gently press, remove and lay it on the banana leaf square; repeat.
- Place all the red tortoise cakes into a steaming tray and steam over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and serve.