The vegan recipe for Lotus Leaf Rice:
servings – 5
- 1 lotus leaf (wash and soak in water for 2 hours)
- 4 cups cooked rice (* use slightly less water then usual for the rice-cooking)
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom cubes
- 1 cup dried chestnuts (soak overnight)
- 1 cup soy mince
- 1 cup carrot cubes
- ½ cup green peas
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp five-spice powder
- Heat vegetable oil and fry the soy mince until golden brown.
- Add shiitake mushroom cubes and fry until fragrant.
- Add five-spice powder and saute until fragrant.
- Add vegetarian oyster sauce and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chestnuts and water, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add carrot cubes and green peas; stir evenly.
- Add cooked rice and stir well.
- Add salt and stir well.
- Turn off the heat.
- Spread the lotus leaf on a steamer tray and transfer the sauteed rice onto the lotus leaf.
- Wrap over and secure with toothpicks.
- Steam over high heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve.