Homemade/DIY Vegan Oyster Sauce:
servings – 5 cups sauce
- 100 g dried shitake mushrooms (soak in water for 4 hours, clean, drain and cut into strips)
- 2 tbsp flax seeds (wash and soak in 1/2 cup water for 4 hours)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 slices ginger (cut into thin strips)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- Heat vegetable oil over low heat and saute ginger until golden brown; remove the ginger.
- Add shiitake mushrooms and sesame oil; stir-fry over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add salt, dark soy sauce and soy sauce; stir-fry for 1/2 minute.
- Add water and sugar; stir well, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove, place in a big bowl, let cool and transfer into a blender; add flax seeds and pulse until smooth.
- Finally, transfer the puree into a sauce pot, constantly stir and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Dish out and serve (or store the extra sauce in the fridge for future use).