The vegan recipe for Murukku:
20 – 30 murukkus
- 4 cups rice flour (sieve)
- 1 cup chickpea flour (sieve)
- 3 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- In a big mixing bowl, combine rice flour, chickpea flour and vegetable shortening.
- Add cumin seeds, white sesame seeds and salt; combine.
- Add water and knead the soft dough until smooth.
- Place a small portion of the dough into a murukku maker and squeeze it in circular motion onto a small square sheet of wax paper; repeat until the dough is used up.
- Slowly slide the murukkus into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Remove, drain, cool and serve or store in an airtight container for future serving.