Once the vegan Chinese barbecue sauce is prepared, you are halfway to success and if you prefer a stronger taste, you may dress the Vegan char siu with extra sauce. Enjoy!
Homemade/DIY Vegan Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Seitan):
servings – 8
- 2 cups wheat gluten powder/seitan powder
- 1 cup wheat starch
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup Vegan Chinese Barbecue Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine wheat gluten powder, wheat starch, nutritional yeast flakes and salt.
- Add water (1 1/4 cups), mix well and knead the dough; 10 minutes later, knead again.
- Flatten the dough into a 1.5 cm thick sheet and slice into 5 cm wide + 15 cm long strips.
- Heat oil over high heat, fry the dough strips till golden color, remove, drain and set aside.
- Place vegan Chinese barbecue sauce and water (1/2 cup) to a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat; add the fried dough strips, coat well and cover to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Lastly, flip the strips again to coat them well with the sauce.
- Remove, slice and serve.
Looks tasty! D you think regular wheat flour would work in place of wheat starch? White flour is just starch and gluten left, so it should have similar results?
You may use wheat flour in place of wheat starch in the absence of wheat starch. The result would yield a slightly harder texture on the barbecue seitan.
Where to look for wheat gluten powder or seitan powder in Melaka? Thanks
You should be able to find wheat gluten powder in most of the bakery & pastry supply stores.