Once the vegan Chinese barbecue sauce is prepared, you are halfway to success and if you prefer a stronger taste, you may dress the Vegan char siu with extra sauce. Enjoy!
Homemade/DIY Vegan Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Seitan):
servings – 8
- 2 cups wheat gluten powder/seitan powder
- 1 cup wheat starch
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup Vegan Chinese Barbecue Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine wheat gluten powder, wheat starch, nutritional yeast flakes and salt.
- Add water (1 1/4 cups), mix well and knead the dough; 10 minutes later, knead again.
- Flatten the dough into a 1.5 cm thick sheet and slice into 5 cm wide + 15 cm long strips.
- Heat oil over high heat, fry the dough strips till golden color, remove, drain and set aside.
- Place vegan Chinese barbecue sauce and water (1/2 cup) to a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat; add the fried dough strips, coat well and cover to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Lastly, flip the strips again to coat them well with the sauce.
- Remove, slice and serve.