The main ingredients of this vegan Chinese barbecue sauce (vegan char siu sauce) are the aromatic 5-spice powder, black pepper powder and sand ginger powder. It’s appetizing and rich in flavor!
The vegan recipe for Vegan Chinese Barbecue Sauce:
3 cups sauce
- 1 tsp 5-spice powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp sand ginger powder
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp maltose syrup
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup golden flax seed paste (* soak golden flax seeds and puree)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Heat vegetable oil and lightly fry 5-spice powder, black pepper powder plus sand ginger powder.
- Add sesame oil, peanut butter and sugar; briefly stir-fry.
- Add tomato puree, soy sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce, maltose syrup and golden flax seed paste; stir-fry for ½ minute.
- Trickle water over the sauce while stirring constantly; cook for 3 minute over low heat.
- Remove and serve.