Homemade/DIY Chinese Dough Fritters (You Tiao):
servings – 4
- 2 ½ cups wheat flour
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix sugar with instant dry yeast and water (¼ cup); leave to ferment for 5 minutes.
- Sieve wheat flour into a mixing bowl, then add water (½ cup), salt and the above mixture; knead into a smooth dough and cover with a cloth for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle baking soda over, knead the dough until well blended and allow to ferment another 15 minutes.
- Spread vegetable oil (1 tbsp) over the dough, knead well again and cover for 30 minutes; repeat once.
- Roll out the dough into a long rectangle dough sheet (thickness: 0.5 cm, width: 10 cm, length: flexible); cover for another 30 minutes.
- Heat oil (adequate oil for deep-frying) in a skillet and cut the dough sheet into 2.5 cm wide strips.
- Formation: gently press a dent in the middle of one dough strip with a soaked bamboo skewer; take another dough strip, stack on top and press a dent in the middle with a chopstick; pinch both ends, lengthen the stacked strips, dip into the hot oil, roll it with a pair of wooden chopsticks, fry until golden brown, remove and drain on paper towel. Repeat this step until all the dough strips are used up.