The vegetarian recipe for Spicy Mung Bean and Amaranth Gravy:
servings – 4
- 1 cup mung beans (soak in water for 1 hours)
- 350 g amaranth greens (cut into small sections)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3 dried chilies (cut in half)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 liters water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp salt
- Place mung beans and water in a pot; cook over low heat until mushy.
- Heat oil, saute dried chilies and spices until fragrant; pour into the pot.
- Add amaranth greens and cook until the vegetable becomes soft.
- Add plain yogurt, shredded coconut and salt; stir well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- May serve with chapati.