The vegan recipe for Steamed Rice Rolls with Sweet Sauce:
servings – 6 to 8
- 4 cups rice flour
- 4 tbsp tapioca flour
- 4 tbsp wheat starch – gluten-free wheat flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups hot water
- In a mixing bowl, mix rice flour with water (2 cups) to form a smooth rice batter and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mix tapioca flour, wheat starch with water (1 cup), slowly pour hot water over, stir to combine and leave to cool.
- Add the rice batter (step 1) and vegetable oil; stir to form a smooth rice roll batter.
- Fill a steamer with adequate amount of water and bring to a boil.
- Brush the surface of a non-stick plate with some vegetable oil and position it in the steamer.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the rice roll batter (step 3) onto the non-stick plate, spread evenly, cover the steamer and steam for 1 1/2 minute until the rice sheet turns translucent.
- Remove the plate from the steamer, use a large soft edge spatula to slowly scrape and roll up the rice sheet into a long roll; set on a serving plate.
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 until the rice roll batter is used up.
- Cut the rice rolls into short pieces and dress with Sweet Red Yeast Rice Sauce (or soy sauce), Fresh Herbal Chili Sauce and roasted white sesame seeds.