The vegan recipe for Vegan Five-Nut Mooncake:
10 X 100 g mooncake
- 50 g walnuts (roast until fragrant and coarsely chop)
- 75 g almonds (roast until fragrant and coarsely chop)
- 75 g cashew nuts (roast until fragrant and coarsely chop)
- 50 g pine nuts (roast until fragrant)
- 50 g melon or pumpkin seed kernels (roast until fragrant)
- 75 g white sesame seeds (roast until fragrant)
- 75 g candied winter melon strips (coarsely chop)
- 35 g candied tangerines (coarsely chop)
- 125 g maltose
- 35 g sugar
- 60 g cooked vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup wheat flour (saute without oil until cooked/the flour becomes light, remove and cool)
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour (saute without oil until cooked/the flour becomes light, remove and cool)
- ½ cup cold water
- In a large mixing bowl, mix walnuts, almonds, cashew nuts, pine nuts, melon seed kernels, white sesame seeds, candied winter melon strips and candied tangerines together.
- Add sugar, salt, maltose and cooked vegetable oil; mix well.
- Gradually add wheat flour, glutinous rice flour and cold water; mix well until it can form a lump when grip hard with the hand.
- Divide into 10 portions (of 70 grams each nutty stuffing).
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 125 g maltose
- 50 g vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Mix maltose with baking soda.
- Add vegetable oil and combine.
- Add wheat flour, mix well and keep aside for 1/2 hour.
- Divide the dough into 10 portions (of 30 grams each).
- Smear some oil on both hands, place a crust dough ball in the palm, use the other palm to press and form a pastry round.
- Put a nutty stuffing ball in the center, wrap up, use your thumb and index finger to gently rub the pastry round upwards until it’s sealed.
- Lightly roll into a ball, place it in a greased mooncake mold, gently press, detach and lay it on a baking tray.
- Repeat steps 1 – 3.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 15 minutes.
- Remove, let cool completely and serve (or store/pack).