The vetarian recipe for Mooncake with Lotus Seed Paste and Vegetarian Egg Yolk:
10 X 100 g mooncake
Lotus Seed Paste
- 2 cups lotus seeds – with skin and core removed (soak overnight and drain)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- Place lotus seeds and water in a pot, boil over medium heat until the lotus seeds are thoroughly softened, remove and let cool.
- Transfer the cooked lotus seeds to a blender, add some water and puree until a smooth paste is formed.
- Then, pour the lotus seed paste to a pot, add sugar, keep stirring and cook until very little liquid is left.
- Add vegetable oil, keep stirring and cook until a thick paste is formed.
- Remove and let cool.
- Divide the lotus seed paste into 10 portions (of 50 grams each).
Vegetarian Egg Yolks
- 25 g sticky millet (mash)
- 50 g cheddar cheese – suitable for vegetarians (grate)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 50 g pumpkin flesh (steam until soft)
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients, knead to form dough, keep aside for 10 minutes and knead again.
- Divide into 10 portions and wrap each in clip film to form a small ball.
- Steam for 10 minutes, remove and cool.
- Freeze for 2 hours and take off the cling film.
- 2 cups wheat flour
- ½ cup maltose
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Mix maltose with baking soda.
- Add vegetable oil and combine.
- Add wheat flour, mix well and keep aside for 1/2 hour.
- Divide the dough into 10 portions.
- Smear some oil on both hands, place a lotus seed paste ball in the palm, flatten it, wrap up a vegetarian egg yolk, seal and gently form a ball.
- Then place a crust dough ball in the palm, flatten it, form a pastry round, wrap up the filling (step 1) and use your thumb and index finger to gently rub the pastry round upwards until it’s sealed.
- Lightly roll into a ball, place it in a greased mooncake mold, gently press, detach and lay it on a baking tray.
- Repeat steps 1 – 3.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 15 minutes.
- Remove, let cool completely and serve (or store/pack).