The vetarian recipe for Mooncake with Lotus Seed Paste and Vegetarian Egg Yolk:
10 X 100 g mooncake
Lotus Seed Paste
- 2 cups lotus seeds – with skin and core removed (soak overnight and drain)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- Place lotus seeds and water in a pot, boil over medium heat until the lotus seeds are thoroughly softened, remove and let cool.
- Transfer the cooked lotus seeds to a blender, add some water and puree until a smooth paste is formed.
- Then, pour the lotus seed paste to a pot, add sugar, keep stirring and cook until very little liquid is left.
- Add vegetable oil, keep stirring and cook until a thick paste is formed.
- Remove and let cool.
- Divide the lotus seed paste into 10 portions (of 50 grams each).
Vegetarian Egg Yolks
- 25 g sticky millet (mash)
- 50 g cheddar cheese – suitable for vegetarians (grate)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 50 g pumpkin flesh (steam until soft)
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients, knead to form dough, keep aside for 10 minutes and knead again.
- Divide into 10 portions and wrap each in clip film to form a small ball.
- Steam for 10 minutes, remove and cool.
- Freeze for 2 hours and take off the cling film.
- 2 cups wheat flour
- ½ cup maltose
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Mix maltose with baking soda.
- Add vegetable oil and combine.
- Add wheat flour, mix well and keep aside for 1/2 hour.
- Divide the dough into 10 portions.
- Smear some oil on both hands, place a lotus seed paste ball in the palm, flatten it, wrap up a vegetarian egg yolk, seal and gently form a ball.
- Then place a crust dough ball in the palm, flatten it, form a pastry round, wrap up the filling (step 1) and use your thumb and index finger to gently rub the pastry round upwards until it’s sealed.
- Lightly roll into a ball, place it in a greased mooncake mold, gently press, detach and lay it on a baking tray.
- Repeat steps 1 – 3.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 15 minutes.
- Remove, let cool completely and serve (or store/pack).
Is there any other option beside using cheese?
The last icing moon cake recipe is really really good! All the monastery’s members love it. We really appreciate your sharing and kindness of giving.
Thanks for your kind comment. 🙂
If you are looking for vegan ingredients, below is the vegan version of the ‘Vegetarian Egg Yolks’ ingredients:
35 g sticky millet (mash)
4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
80 g pumpkin flesh (steam until soft)
2 tbsp vegetable shortening
½ tsp salt
One more vegan mooncake recipe coming up – Vegan Five-Nut Mooncake, do check out our homepage > https://www.vegeangel.com/ < . May you, your family and peers have a warm and happy Mid-Autumn Festival! (\__/) (>‘.’<) (")_(") 中秋节快乐！人月两团圆！