The vegan recipe for Vegan Lotus Seed Paste Mooncake:
8 x 100 grams mooncake
Lotus Seed Paste
- 2 cups lotus seeds – with skin and core removed (soak overnight and drain)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup melon or pumpkin seed kernels
- 3 cups water
- Place lotus seeds and water in a pot, boil over medium heat until the lotus seeds are thoroughly softened, remove and let cool.
- Transfer the cooked lotus seeds to a blender, add some water and puree until a smooth paste is formed.
- Then, pour the lotus seed paste to a pot, add sugar, keep stirring and cook until very little liquid is left.
- Add vegetable oil, keep stirring and cook until a thick paste is formed.
- Add melon seed kernels, mix well, remove and let cool.
- Divide the lotus seed paste into 8 portions (of 70 grams each).
- 1 3/4 cups wheat flour (sieve)
- 1/3 cup maltose
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Mix maltose with baking soda.
- Add vegetable oil and combine.
- Add wheat flour, mix well and keep aside for 1/2 hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions (of 30 grams each).
- Smear some oil on both hands, place a crust dough ball in the palm, use the other palm to press and form a pastry round.
- Put a lotus seed paste ball in the center, wrap up, use your thumb and index finger to gently rub the pastry round upwards until it’s sealed.
- Lightly roll into a ball, place it in a greased mooncake mold, gently press, detach and lay it on a baking tray.
- Repeat steps 1 – 3.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 15 minutes.
- Remove, let cool completely and serve (or store/pack).