The vegetarian recipe for Fried Kombu Rolls:
servings – 20 rolls
- 50 gm dried kombu/kelp (wash, soak in water for 1 hour and cut into 8cm X 12cm sheets)
- 1 cup dried lily buds (soak in water for 30 minutes, remove any hard stems and squeeze dry)
- 1 carrot (remove skin and cut into ½ cm X 8cm strips)
- 1 pickled mustard tuber (cut into ½ cm X 8cm strips, soak in water for 20 minutes and drain)
- 5 shiitake mushrooms (soak in water until soft and cut into ½ cm slices)
- 1 Chinese celery (wash and cut into 8cm long stalks)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp wheat flour
- ½ tsp five-spice powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Mix lily buds, pickled mustard tuber, shiitake mushrooms with peanut butter and all seasonings; add tapioca starch and mix well.
- Lay 1 carrot strip and 2 strips of Chinese celery, lily bud, pickled mustard tuber and shiitake mushroom on the bottom side of the seaweed sheet; sprinkle some wheat flour on the top side and roll the sheet towards it; pierce a toothpick through the roll to hold it in place.
- Continue to prepare the remaining rolls till all seaweed sheets are finished.
- Fry the rolls in hot oil on medium fire for 1 minute, flip over and fry for another minute.
- Remove from pan and drain oil before placing on a serving plate.
- Serve hot with ‘Spring Roll Dipping Sauce‘.