Sichuan peppercorns are commonly used in Sichuan cuisine (one of the most famous Chinese cuisines). Not only does the pepper surprises all with it’s interesting numbing effect, it also brings extraordinary aroma and appetizing flavor to a dish!
The vegan recipe for Aromatic Sichuan Pepper Spicy Sauce:
servings – 1 cup sauce
Spices and Herbs
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- ½ cinnamon stick
- ½ tbsp cumin seeds
- 5 cloves
- 2 licorice root slices
- 2 pieces dried tangerine peel
- 4 slices Chinese angelica/dong quai
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp sand ginger powder
- 1 tbsp dried lavender flowers – herb
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tbsp tapioca starch (mix with some water to form a thickening paste)
- 1 cup water
- Grind all the Spices and Herbs until smooth and powdery.
- Heat vegetable oil, add in the above mixed powder and saute over low heat until fragrant.
- Add soy sauce, tahini and sugar; stir well and cook for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add in water, stir well and simmer for 3 minutes over low heat.
- Add tapioca paste to thicken the sauce, stir well, remove and serve.