The vegan recipe for Nutritional King Oyster Mushroom Congee (aka Vegan Fish Congee):
servings – 4 to 6
- 1 cup rice (wash, drain and set aside)
- 300 g king oyster mushrooms (cut into thin slices)
- 2 tbsp ginger strips
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tsp salt
- white pepper powder to taste
- Mix rice, salt (1 tsp), vegetable oil (1 tbsp) with water (1 cup); set aside for 1 hour, then pour the rice mixture into a pot.
- Add water (7 cups) and cook until the congee becomes smooth.
- Heat vegetable oil (1 tbsp), stir-fry ginger strips until golden, remove and keep them in a bowl.
- In the ginger oil, stir-fry the king oyster mushrooms until soft, add salt (1 tsp) and stir well.
- Transfer the mushrooms and oil to the congee.
- Add salt (1 tsp) and nutritional yeast flakes; stir well and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, cover with a lid and allow the congee to rest for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the congee into bowls and top with stir-fried ginger strips, chopped coriander and white pepper powder.