Homemade/DIY Natural Tomato Sauce:
servings – 600 ml sauce
- 1 kg fresh and ripe tomatoes
- ½ lemon (squeeze the juice)
- 1 tbsp corn starch (mix with 1/4 cup water)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Boil 2 liters of water in a large stock pot over high heat.
- Place ice cubes and ice water in a big mixing bowl (to cool down the blanched tomatoes later).
- Slice a shallow “X” into the bottom of each tomato.
- Put the tomatoes in the boiling water and blanch until their skins start to wrinkle and split; then transfer them into the ice water to cool off.
- Strip the skins from the tomatoes, remove the cores and cut into chunks.
- Put the tomato chunks into a blender and pulse until smooth; strain the puree to remove the seeds by using a spoon to press the puree through a stainless steel sieve.
- Bring the tomato puree to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally and simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, sugar and salt; stir well.
- Add corn starch paste to thicken the sauce; stir well.
- Turn off the heat and let the tomato sauce cool off.
- Serve or transfer it to a jar and keep under refrigeration for later use.