The vegan recipe for Steamed Glutinous Rice with Dark Soy Sauce:
servings – 6
- 3 cups glutinous rice (soak in water for 2 hours)
- 12 shiitake mushrooms (soak in water until soft, remove the stems and cut in half)
- 12 textured vegetable protein/TVP cubes (soak in water until soft, remove and squeeze the water out)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Heat vegetable oil, stir-fry shiitake mushrooms and TVP cubes until fragrant.
- Add glutinous rice and briefly stir.
- Add dark soy sauce, soy sauce, salt, sugar and water (3 cups); stir evenly and transfer the rice to a steaming tray.
- Steam for 5 minutes.
- Add water (1/2 cup) and steam over low heat for 30 minutes or until the glutinous rice is fully cooked.
- Remove and serve.