Coral grass is also known as sea bird’s nest. For a vegetarian or vegan, it’s an excellent alternative to gelatin.
The vegan recipe for Tangerine Jelly:
servings – 15 to 20 jellies
- 3 cups soaked coral grass (*wash coral grass, soak in water overnight and drain)
- 1 candied tangerine (finely chop)
- 3/4 cup crystal sugar 冰糖 bing tang or sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Place all the ingredients in a blender (except candied tangerine); puree until smooth and jelly-like.
- Pour the puree into a pot, add candied tangerine, cook over low heat and keep stirring until the first boil.
- Transfer the puree into jelly molds and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Remove and serve.