The vegan recipe for Vegan Satay:
servings – 35 to 40 bundles of vegan satay
- 350 g textured vegetable protein/TVP cubes (soak in water until soft, remove, squeeze the water out and set aside)
- 50 g lemongrass (peel tough skin and slice)
- 30 g turmeric (peel and cut into small chunks)
- 30 g galangal (peel and cut into small chunks)
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 star anise
- 5 cardamoms
- 1 tbsp dried lavender flowers – herb
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 turmeric leaf (finely slice and chop)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch or corn starch
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Grind lemongrass, turmeric and galangal to a fine paste and set aside.
- Place cumin seeds, coriander seeds, star anise, cardamoms, dried lavender flowers and curry powder to a grinder; finely grind and set aside.
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Finely grind coriander seeds and cumin seeds; set aside.
Vegan Barbecue Sauce
- 2 stalks lemongrass (peel tough skin, slice and finely chop)
- 1 turmeric leaf (finely chop)
- 2 lime leaves (finely chop)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Place lemongrass, turmeric leaf, lime leaves, sugar, coconut milk and vegetable oil in a blender; pulse until smooth and set aside.
- In a big mixing bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients.
- Add TVP cubes, mix well and marinate for 1 hour.
- Thread the marinated TVP cubes onto the bamboo skewers (5 to 6 TVP cubes per skewer).
- Lay the TVP bundles on the oven’s grill grate (top rack).
- Sprinkle spice powder over both sides of the bundles.
- Preheat the oven to 170°c, place the grill grate with the TVP bundles to the over and roast until the TVP cubes start sizzling; brush the barbecue sauce over both sides of the bundles and grill until golden brown crust appears on the surface (turn over to grill the bottom side of the bundles).
- Remove and serve with Vegan Satay Sauce, cucumber cubes and ketupat (packed rice cubes).