The vegan recipe for Steamed Red Bean Buns:
servings – 12 buns
Red Bean Filling
- 1 cup red beans (soak in water for 4 hours and drain)
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Place the red beans and water (4 cups) in a pot, cook until the beans become soft and transfer them into a large bowl.
- Place the cooked beans (gradually) on a aluminum sieve, add some water, press the beans through the sieve into another large bowl and discard the bean skins collected on the sieve.
- Let the red bean paste sink to the bottom of the bowl and remove the water on top of it.
- Then, transfer the red bean paste to a cooking pan.
- Add sugar, stir and cook until fully absorbed.
- Remove and let cool.
- 5 cups wheat flour (sieve)
- 1/2 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
- In a big mixing bowl, combine water, instant dry yeast and sugar.
- When the yeast and sugar dissolve, add wheat flour and vegetable oil; combine.
- Knead the dough until smooth and fine; roll it into a long loaf and divide into 12 portions.
- Flatten each portion of dough into a round shape, place 1 tbsp red bean filling in the center, wrap up and lay the bun onto a sheet of greaseproof paper; repeat.
- Let the buns ferment for 35 minutes.
- Then, steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve.