The vegan recipe for Deep-Fried Okara Balls:
servings – 30 okara balls
- 1 cup soy beans
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- Soak soy beans for 7 hours, remove and place in a blender; add 3 cups of water and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer the soy puree to a large piece of muslin or cheesecloth which is laid in a mixing bowl; bring up the sides of the cloth, wrap, twist and squeeze to extract the soy milk (place the soy pulp/okara into another mixing bowl and boil the soy milk to serve as a beverage).
- Combine the okara with rice flour, tapioca starch, white pepper powder, salt and water.
- Form the mixture into small balls and deep-fry them until golden brown.
- Remove, drain and serve.