Homemade/DIY Vegan Meatballs:
20 vegan meatballs
- 200 g fresh king oyster mushrooms (cut into long and thin strips)
- 1/3 cup golden flax seeds (grind until fine and smooth)
- 1 cup soya mince
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
Herbs & Seasonings
- 1 tsp crushed dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Mix king oyster mushrooms with olive oil (1 tbsp), then lay them on a greased baking tray and bake at 130oC for 20 minutes; remove and let cool.
- Heat vegetable oil over low heat and saute soya mince plus ground black pepper (1/4 tsp) until golden brown; remove and set aside.
- Lightly fry peanut butter and tahini with olive oil (1 tbsp), add in baked king oyster mushrooms, black pepper coated soya mince, lemon zest, all herbs, all seasonings and water; stir well, cover and simmer until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Then, add ground golden flax seeds, tapioca starch and ground black pepper (1/4 tsp); mix well, remove and let cool.
- Heat sufficient amount of oil for frying over medium heat.
- Smear some oil on both hands, scoop out a spoonful of the vegan meatball mixture and roll into a ball shape; repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Fry the vegan meatballs until golden brown, remove, drain and serve.
note: you can also freeze the vegan meatball mixture for later use.