Happy Mooncake Festival!
The vegan recipe for Natural Red Bean Snowy Mooncake:
- 1/4 cup glutinous rice flour
- Saute without oil until the flour becomes light, remove and cool.
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour (saute without oil until the flour becomes light, remove and cool)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Place water and sugar in a pot, stir and cook until boiled.
- Pour the liquid to the cooked glutinous rice flour and use a bowl spatula to mix evenly.
- Add in vegetable oil, stir and mix until a smooth glutinous dough is formed.
- Set aside.
Red Bean Filling
- 1/2 cup red beans (soak in water overnight and drain)
- 1 tbsp wheat flour
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Place red beans and water in a pot, cook until the beans become mushy, remove and put in a large bowl.
- Gradually place the cooked red beans on a aluminum sieve, add some water, press the red beans through the sieve into another large bowl and discard the bean skins collected on the sieve.
- Let the red bean paste sink to the bottom of the bowl, then remove the water on top of it.
- Place sugar in a pan, stir and cook until it dissolves and becomes light brown.
- Add in red bean paste and vegetable oil, stir and cook until fully absorbed.
- Add in wheat flour, stir evenly, cool and divide into 4 portions.
- Divide the glutinous dough into 4 portions, roll into balls, gently press and roll out into circles.
- Place the red bean filling in the center, wrap up, gently form ball shapes, layer with flour coating and shape them with a mooncake mold.