The vegan recipe for Lotus Seed Paste Mooncake Puffs:
servings – 16 puffs
Lotus Seed Paste
- 250 g white lotus seeds (soak in water for 2 hours)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seed kernels or watermelon seed kernels
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- Place the white lotus seeds and water (3 cups) in a pot.
- Simmer over medium heat until the lotus seeds are soft; remove and let cool.
- Transfer the lotus seeds to a blender, add water (1 cup), pulse until smooth and pour the paste into a cooking pan.
- Add sugar and vegetable oil; stir and cook until fully absorbed.
- Remove and let cool.
- Add pumpkin seed kernels, mix well and set aside.
- 3 cups wheat flour (sieve)
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- Combine wheat flour and vegetable shortening.
- Add vegetable oil and brown sugar; combine.
- Add water and knead until the dough is smooth.
- Set aside and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions.
- Roll out one portion into a rectangle and roll up tightly into a long dough spiral.
- Roll out the other portion of dough into a rectangle, place the dough spiral at the tip of the dough rectangle and roll up tightly into a dough spiral.
- Remove the edges of the final dough spiral and cut it into 16 equal portions.
- Face one spiral side of each dough portion down and roll out into a round shape.
- Place the lotus seed paste in the center of the dough round, pinch the edges together to seal and lay the sealed-side down on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 45 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and serve.