The vegetarian recipe for Thosai/Dosa (Fermented Crepes):
servings – 15 to 20 sheets
- 3 cups rice
- 1 tbsp cooked rice
- 3/4 cup urad dal – white lentils (dehusked black gram)
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups water
- Soak rice in water (3 cups water) for 4 hours; soak urad dal with fenugreek seeds in water (2 cups water) for 4 hours.
- Place the above soaked ingredients (rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds), soaking water, cooked rice and salt in a blender, puree until a smooth batter is formed, set aside and let it ferment overnight.
- The next day, before cooking, if the batter has become too thick, add some water and stir until it reaches a pouring consistency.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Brush the surface with some vegetable oil, ladle 1/2 cup batter into the centre of the pan, spread evenly to obtain a thin round thosai/dosa, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, trickle a little oil around the edges, flip it over to cook the underside for about 1 minute (or cook until the edges start browning), remove and set on a plate; repeat until all the batter is used up.
- Serve with Vegetable Dal Curry, enjoy!