The vegetarian recipe for Wheat Germ Crusted Mushroom Burgers:
8 vegan burgers
- 200 g white button mushrooms (wash and cut each into 6 halves)
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein (TVP) grains
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 cup roasted cashew nuts (coarsely grind)
- 1 cup wheat starch
- 1 cup raw wheat germ
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed dried oregano
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- Heat oil and fry TVP till golden brown.
- Add button mushrooms, oregano and salt; combine and saute until the mushrooms turn soft.
- Add mashed potatoes and saute until well mixed.
- Add water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Dish out and place the TVP mixture in a mixing bowl.
- Immediately add in ground black pepper, nutritional yeast flakes and wheat starch; combine.
- Then, add ground cashew nuts and mix evenly to form a dough.
- Scoop out a handful of dough, form into balls and gentle press to shape into 1 cm thick rounds.
- Spray some water on the surface of the mushroom burgers, coat the burgers in wheat germ and fry until golden brown.
- May serve with tomato sauce and lettuce.